09 November 2008

Welcome to Vegas


What follows is a snipet from a short story I am working on, "Welcome to Vegas." Let me know what you think....


* * * * * * *

Now look at me.
I had a future on Tuesday.
It's Friday and I'm a joke.
Now I have darkness and refuse.

Rotting garbage, that smell, that’s how I know I'm in trouble.
When you're in trouble you can smell it.
The smell of Carter's Heineken foul breath.
When I was a kid the acid smell, dreck of my father's tobacco spittle stuck to my face.

I know my life has taken a turn for the worse, the stench.
But the smell is a distraction, making the cold not so cold.

I can only feel one thing at a time, so the smell of the garbage battles back the cascade of my newest failure.
The cold, the hunger and the loss, they’re all tucked in, somewhere behind the stink.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emotional hiccups is my 1st impression. I could feel his angst, his revulsion, but my brain told me he had hiccups. As I was reading, the voice in my head had hiccups; not quite drunk hiccups but stilted just the same...

karen ussery said...

How utterly bleak, Raymond. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

I can almost smell it Raymond, but I'm not saying your writing stinks. Keep it up! JB

maywander said...

Hey Raymond,

Too much backstory. Not enough motivation.

Andy