24 April 2014

Character Study for Karen


I want, what I want. What I want is you. You order a Sad Martini, you call it. Two parts vermouth, one part vodka and the juice of a lemon. But you don't order a it,  you point at your glass and the bartender knows what to put in it, because this is your place. They know you here.

They know you here better than I know you. They talk of your velvety laugh. Connor, the barkeep, told me how you were late to a photo shoot one day, because you stopped to rescue a dog. He says that's who you are. I laugh and say no one's that nice. Connor's chubby face furls itself into a fist and he punches the words at me, "She is that nice."

I'm lucky he let me wait here for you. And now that you're here I feel even more lucky. I know that's not how the words should go together, but when I'm with you, Karen, words don't make much sense.

I want, what I want. What I want is you.

No comments: