08 April 2014

Writing exercise # 5

Getting warmed up by using http://www.amazon.com/Old-Friend-Far-Away-Practice/dp/1416535039 some of Natalie Goldberg's writing prompts...

Coffee http://www.cafepress.com/deeprocktees.263434468

I pour my coffee into a pint glass, from my friendly french press. I add cream and the color turns from chocolate-oil black to sturdy tan. Then I wrap my hands around the glass to feel its heat, to let the coffee slip through the glass, through my skin and into my veins. The coffee is never weak, it's strong and friendly.

I drink my coffee in sips, chewing it, acknowledging it, noticing it, letting it talk to me. The caffeine is secondary, the bitter shock when it his my lips, the heat and liquid butter of the half and half dance across my tongue, there is nothing better in this moment.

I experience myself through this liquid conversation. I drink coffee there for I am.  

It's a private experience. I don't get from Starbucks, or coffee on the run, or coffee after dinner, or coffee with friends. That coffee is transactional. It's a social gesture. Airport coffee is fuel.

When I really drink coffee I come to know myself better. It's earthy good work being done by a friend, that I will miss till the next time she brings her load for the garden of my mind. Coffee. Coffee.

1 comment:

karen ussery said...

Coffee. Bracing, if done correctly. So disappointing when weak, like a fourth down play that doesn’t covert; so close and yet so very not it. Liquid motivation. Go juice. Then there’s that last sip where it’s lost its mojo. Take one more sip, just to be sure. Yep, shoulda stopped sooner. Now it’s too cool, or too bottom-of-the-barrel. Dregs. A world of difference between that perfect first taste and that last. So should you have another? You feel so good right now but you don’t want to push over into that next level of edgy. Jittery energy, bouncing foot. The gritty need to brush your teeth. No, just one, thank you. Although part of you is sad to walk out of the coffee shop empty handed, like you weren’t even there for the last twenty minutes, part of that warm community of fellow coffee people. You know who you are. You belong there. Out in the world you might as well drink tea. Or even just water, for that matter. Water. So … nothing, without its transformative beans to slowly drip through, infused magic in your mug. Lucky you.