19 November 2015

Hangman 4


 


 

It's like no one remembers what happens to a generation at war. This one will be different, the pallor of death, 
fueled by oil money, and cover by SnapChat.

The hangman comes and knock on my door
The hangman, I didn't think they hanged no more

Because all of time has become run together, because FacceBook let's us celebrate five minutes ago, we get this
weird war that almost no one is paying attention to. If I didn't have friends there, would I care that it went from
drone strikes to ground troups in under a month? Would I be some slacked-jaw yahoo waiting for the
commercials to start between news clips?

Jackbooted, tear-eyed working for the man 
Even the hangman trying to do the best he can

Five minutes ago I was in paradise. Carter's paradise. Which means there is no work in front of me that I need to do
today, I have no work behind me that I worry about. And then my dad shows up.

This is great reminder I'm in a dream, because my dad died before i left for Iraq. But now I want to hear what he
has to say. Whether he has a message from the  great beyond. He Turns to set on bench, in this dream world I sit
next to him as a peer. Definitely a dream.

He murmurs lowly, "What are you listening to?"

It's never gonna' end you see
Government the government, got Citzen's United money

My dad tried tried to  tell me once that he wasn't in Viet Nam. That he spent hell in Laos. But I could never quite
understand what he meant. There was some tone that didn't registered and another tone that made me not want to
ask.


I got friend who gonna march downtown
Veterans and hippies, wanna fight the man

Maybe it's because of collapsed time. The present and the future shouldn't be so close.  And the past is
just a memory away. It's like  I can say her name and she would be right here by my side. 


The hangman hates ISIS like you and me
But the hangman he's driven by his duty





The hangman comes and knock on my door
The hangman, I didn't think they hanged no more



Jackbooted, tear-eyed working for the man 
Even the hangman trying to do the best he can



It's never gonna' end you see
Government the government, got Citzen's United money



I got friend who gonna march downtown
Veterans and hippies, wanna fight the man



The hangman hates ISIS like you and me
But the hangman he's driven by his duty


No comments: