16 November 2015

Hangman

How do I know I'm old? Cuz. There's a song coming out of my son's room for the 50th time. He's learning to play it on the guitar. It's somewhere between Muddy Waters and Gary Clark, Jr.

The hangman comes and knock on my door
The hangman, I didn't think they hanged no more

Between every lyric he works the fret board like he's angry. I used to be angry.  I used to think I would fix all the bullshit my parents and their parents left behind. What the hell is this song about?

Jackbooted, tear-eyed working for the man 
Even the hangman trying to do the best he can

I lean against the hallway, and I sip my coffee. I like the melody. When did the Bad Guys start to have feelings. When did it get popular to believe that Dr. Evil was evil because of his crappy childhood. I've slid down the wall, sitting on the floor. 

When did it become so important to me, to understand everything. I used to know stuff when I was younger now all I have are questions.

It's never gonna' end you see
Government the government, got Citzen's United money

This is what the play on the radio? I've got to text Mike at the office. My teen-aged son could probably explain to our interns at work why Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission was a bad thing, and that Dodd–Frank is toothless. 

I'm gonna be late for work. If I don't get going.

I got friend who gonna march downtown
Veterans and hippies, wanna fight the man

Shanking my head in time with drum line. Thinking about my dad. Gwad... he hated hippies. I once said, "You mean your contemporaries?" I never seen him so angry before. He was used to me being a smart ass. But  guess my youth never intersected with the guys he lost in Laos.


The hangman hates ISIS like you and me
But the hangman he's driven by his duty

It's like no one remembers what happens to a generation at war. This one will be different, the pallor of death, fueled by oil money, and cover by SnapChat.

ISIS gets name check in a song. It either means their here to stay or their about to become a footnote in a history book. That's all I can think of, because of my age. That every moment that happens is getting quickly filled in Google, on its way to being in a history book. 

I slide myself up off the floor, tighten my necktie, till it's just so and I head for the office. Time to get some shit done.




No comments: