23 April 2014

Happy Writing exercise

I remember the last time I was really happy. I was in Phoenix hanging out with Karen, Scott, and Terri. I was driving. I consider driving a stern task. Driving up Central, laughing for no reason I can remember.

The car was too small for us and our luggage, the lunch was too heavy for all we planned to do that day, and we had no time for errands. All the spaces in between our concerns were fun. We made each other young again, and free.

We stopped in to see an old friend and his new storefront. There was nothing special about our visit, but looking at his shop, talking about business I didn't understand, I felt I was in the presence of love. As though somehow leaving Seattle and landing in Phoenix helped me turn the corner and pack all my concerns, all my everyday worries into a bag.

I say it's like that after a few drinks, but drinking only masks the problems that sit next to me. This was a moment in time when all of myself and all of my friends' parts and pieces were welcome. We entered moments of silence with smiles, and each conversation with laughter.

I don't need to go back to Phoenix to find the happiness I just need to laugh.

2 comments:

Darrel Rhea said...

Thanks, Raymondo. Yes, for me it is that blissful point of acceptance, being able to include everything -- even the troubling parts, and just let it be. It is "getting out of the way" of being happy. Realizing I AM happy, and the only thing preventing me from experiencing it is me.

Raymond Ussery said...

Hear, hear!